Sunday, June 12, 2011

23 More Days!

So I am officially in packing and, simultaneously, unpacking mode now.  Obviously, I am packing and preparing for my upcoming departure.  I have spent hundreds of dollars in the past couple weeks acquiring a wardrobe that most of the population currently has but I do not due to the fact that I've worn a uniform for the past 4 years and have had no use for clothing outside of old t-shirts and blue jeans.  The idea that I'd have to start wearing dresses and skirts has had me in semi-panic mode.  I am NOT made for dresses.  On a more positive note, however, one of my most recent shopping excursions has taken me to JC Penney, where they were having a weekend sale.  I ended up getting a pretty nice black knee-length dress, originally priced at $100, for $7.64.  Not bad!

Like I said, I am simultaneously unpacking.  I have a boatload of crap that I have accumulated over the past 10 or so years, and I was hellbent on keeping it.  Mostly university papers and reading assignments, but also random crap, like a Bart Simpson cereal box and a vast floppy disk collection housing who-knows-what.  I have thrown away about 12 garbage bags of junk, donated 3 bags of clothes, and given away a half-dozen items on Freecycle.  And I'm only a third of the way done going through all my stuff. 

On top of all that, I also have to pack up my bedroom.  That means both purging the crap that I don't really need and organizing all the stuff that I insist on keeping into a few small boxes and bins.  Here's to hoping that doesn't take too long.

Overall, I'm very excited about the upcoming three weeks.  I have big plans and lots to do, but I have no doubt that it will get done.  I am still missing things that I need, but I have faith that it will all be purchased in time.  I don't like waiting, but since I quit my job last week, that is all I have left to do.  And still no word as to what time our flights will be or even what city we're leaving out of.  Sigh.  I guess this is how the Peace Corps teaches you patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment