Sunday, August 21, 2011

Almost done with PST!

I know...I know...I haven't updated this blog since I left the States.  That's partially because I don't have internet nearby (I have to take an almost-hour long taxi ride to the mall if I want to go online on a computer) and partially because even though I do have data on my phone to go online, going on websites eats up my data like Pac-Man and so...here we are.

I have only about two weeks left in the village where I'm doing my PST (Pre-Service Training), and I'm loving every minute of it!  I have an amazing host family: the koko (grandmother) that I live with named Rosy, her daughter Tiny, and Tiny's kids (my host-siblings) Olebogeng, Letlotlo, and Duduetsang.  I went to the zoo yesterday with Dudu, her boyfriend, and my host brother Letlotlo yesterday, and it was so much fun!! I haven't laughed that much in a long time!

Tomorrow, I head out to my new village for a supervisor workshop and to meet my new host family and host community.  I'm excited, but it's not that big of a leap--I'll only be about 2 hours or so from where I'm at now (to the delight of my current host family).  Nevertheless, I'm both excited and nervous about integrating with a new community all over again.  It's a lot of work, and I'm definitely going to miss the community that I'm in now.

I've eaten a few interesting things since I've been here--mopane worms (moth caterpillars) and chicken feet to name a few--but otherwise the food hasn't been that different from the States.  Lots of chicken, but also some ground beef (called mince meat here), mutton, and goat as well.  And we eat a TON of vegetables--I probably eat more vegetables in a week here than I did in a month in the US!  We eat a lot of squash, potatoes, green beans, carrots, cabbage, spinach (actually Swiss Chard), onions, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, etc.  We eat 3-5 veggies per meal.  Yes, PER MEAL.  But it's great.  I do miss fruit, though.  My selection is pretty limited: bananas, apples, oranges, and pears.  It's all good, though.

If you're friends with me on Facebook, I've uploaded a couple dozen photos.  I'll try to get some on here within the next couple months.

This is short, I know, for an entry that is to describe the past month and a half I've spent here, but I'm out of internet time at the cafe!  I'll update again as soon as I can!

Thanks for all the support from back home, and I love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment