Thursday, September 8, 2011

Here are some pictures, finally uploaded...ENJOY! :)

This was the view from our hotel we stayed at during our supervisor workshops!
   

My hotel neighbor had a meerkat!  How Africa is that??

This was part of the decoration at the traditional Ndebele wedding I attended

And this was me with the wedding party!  The bride is to my right (the one with the red hat).

Traditional African Beer

The children love to tickle me so I fall to the ground and they can rub my hair.

Funny story:  So one of the kids, upon giving me a hug, leaned in and sniffed my armpit after a hot, long day of walking in the African midday sun. She then tells me about how wonderful my armpit smelled, so I showed them my deodorant stick (because stick is nonexistent here). They proceeded to apply it onto one another in utter excitement.  Even the boy wanted to wear some lady-scented Secret.

The kids look like they're cheering, right?  But they're actually raising up their arms to show off their lovely new smell!  They were elated!  I'm changing Africa, one armpit at a time!


Me with my language group, two of my family members, and the family members of others.

Who says old mattresses need to go in the trash?  Better to burn off their outer casings and use the metal springs as part of your fence!  Recycling (or at least resourcefulness) is alive and well here in South Africa.

Playing with a snake.  Non-venomous, of course.

You didn't think that I was just going to stick with that itty-bitty snake pictured above, did you?   :)

Me in traditional BaTswana dress

My language group on Swearing-In Day

Me with the U.S. Ambassador to South Africa, Mr. Donald Gips, in front of his bullet- and bomb-proof BMW.

Me with the Peace Corps South Africa Country Director, Ms. McGrath Thomas.

Me with the founder and CEO of Operation HOPE, Mr. John Hope Bryant.  They promote financial literacy to underserved communities.  To learn more about Operation HOPE, visit http://www.operationhope.org

Me with the Ambassador's wife, Liz Gips, and Mr. Bryant.  Mrs. Gips has been spending her time in South Africa working within the education system, so she could relate to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment